Recently, in the last 6 months in particular there’s been a massive interest into the miraculous benefits of coconut and the crazy thing is, most people of only really aware of the cosmetic benefits to hair and skin and are unaware of just how amazing coconut oil really is.
The fat obtained from coconut oil is digested very easily and utilised in a different manner by the body than saturated fats such as those in butter, meat, eggs and dairy, because it is part of the medium-chain fatty acid variety.
Whereas harmful saturated fats are stored in the body’s cells, medium chain fatty acids are utilised directly by the liver and immediately converted into energy. Coconut oil encourages faster metabolism rates, so your body will burn more calories, lose weight and detoxify.
The health benefits of coconut oil include hair care, skin care, stress relief, cholesterol level maintenance, weight loss, a boosted immune system, proper digestion and regulated metabolism. It also provides relief from kidney problems, heart diseases, high blood pressure, diabetes, HIV and cancer, while helping to improve dental quality and bone strength.
Coconut oil is extensively used on the Indian sub-continent for hair care. Most of the people in those countries apply coconut oil on their hair every day after bathing or showering. It is an excellent conditioner and helps the re-growth process of damaged hair. It also provides the essential proteins required for nourishing and healing damaged hair.
Coconut oil is strongly recommended for a number of other benefits that are explained below. Using coconut oil has been shown to mildly help the following:
– Liver: The presence of medium chain triglycerides and fatty acids helps in preventing various liver diseases because those substances are easily converted into energy when they reach the liver. This reduces the work load of the liver and also prevents the accumulation of fat. The liver regenerates every 30 days, so coconut oil ensures the liver’s optimum vitality with enzyme support
– Kidney: Coconut oil helps in preventing kidney and gall bladder diseases. It also helps to dissolve kidney stones
– Pancreatitis: Coconut oil is also believed to be useful in treating pancreatitis
– Stress relief: Coconut oil is very soothing and, hence, it helps in removing stress. Applying coconut oil to the head, followed by a gentle massage, helps to eliminate mental fatigue
– Diabetes: Coconut oil helps in controlling blood sugar and improves the secretion of insulin. It also promotes the effective utilisation of blood glucose, thereby preventing and treating diabetes
– Bones: As mentioned earlier, coconut oil improves the ability of the body to absorb important minerals. These include calcium and magnesium, which are necessary for the development of bones. Thus, coconut oil is very useful to women who are prone to osteoporosis after middle age.
– Dental care and oil pulling: Calcium is an important component of your teeth. Since coconut oil facilitates absorption of calcium by the body, it helps in developing strong teeth. Coconut oil also stops tooth decay as it diminishes harmful bacteria.
Oil pulling with coconut oil is extremely beneficial for oral health and detoxification. Simply take a tablespoon of oil and swill in your mouth for 20 minutes. Oil pulling reduces the amount of S. mutants (germ) count in the teeth plaque and mouth saliva. Scientists believe that the lipids in the oil both pull out bacteria and stop bacteria from sticking to the walls of the oral cavity. Many health practitioners believe that there are many other benefits to be gained from oil pulling.
These benefits of oil can be attributed to the presence of lauric acid, capric acid and caprylic acid. All of these acids have antimicrobial, antioxidant, anti-fungal, antibacterial properties. Pacific Islanders deem coconut oil to be the soothing, cure-all gift from nature for many ailments.
Coconut oil comes in various forms such as pure, refined (which is bad), virgin and organic. Be sure to buy raw, cold-pressed, organic coconut oil. You can use coconut oil as a replacement for any other cooking oils and you can never use too much of it. Add a tablespoon of raw coconut oil to your favourite smoothie for added goodness.
This was excerpted from the YUSA Guide To Balance: Mind Body Spirit which you can view in full HERE where it’s available in physical and digital format. You can also see what our current worldwide readership is saying about the book. If you are outside of the UK we advise that you visit Amazon.com for your copy for more cost effective delivery costs.